Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Ready

One of the only expectations I had in coming to Cuba was to gain more confidence in my Spanish. That hasn’t happened. I don’t actually think I’ve improved my Spanish but I did learn Cuban Spanish. 

When I first got here I was shocked at how my cuban brother would talk to his grandmother. He addresses her frequently as coño or asere, the former being about the equivalent to calling your grandma güey. I thought he was just a rude brat but then I realized everyone talks to everyone that way. Forget using mande, Cubans say Dime. Dime. DIME. When getting a phone call you won’t ever get a polite Bueno or Buenos dias, or even an Hola, como esta. You get Oigo. Dime. without fail. Now I’m used to it and now I have a different idea of what’s considered rude; although, I can’t bring myself to call my grandma coño.

I feel more comfortable here. I walk the streets knowing where to go, where to get the things I need, and when exactly is the best time to j-walk. I know where to get my internet cards, the best people to change my money for me on the street, exactly what kind of rice to pick up from the market and from which venders, etc. I feel comfortable getting a maquina and exploring other neighboring cities. As I walk to the university, I am now surprised that I pass and greet many people that I’ve met along the way. 

As part of my study abroad program, I helped a group of American students here for a month long class. I was one of the only other Americans in my group that helped these students get around. 

I think these are all signs that I’ve learned what I can and that I am ready to move-on. Although I don’t feel more comfortable with my Spanish, I do feel more capable of taking on the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment