Sunday, December 13, 2015

Thanks for Reading

Within the next few days I will leave Cuba. My time here will end until an undetermined date. (I pray this will be the last internet card I will ever have to buy). 

These blog posts are more philosophical, rant-like, and opinionated than I anticipated they would be. Truthfully, I had no desire to describe the sights and sounds of the city, or the specific events that occurred here. It seemed all too redundant. Today, narrative depictions of our surroundings are reserved for tourist websites, Facebook pages, and Google advertisements--all of which are usually accompanied by many pictures. I do admit, uploading a few pictures to this blog wouldn’t have hurt (especially since Google hasn’t had the chance to take their camera cars around the island). However, considering that the connection in most places around the city is usually not stable enough to upload pictures, and that it’s also costly to sit and wait for those pictures to be posted--I decided to let it be.  

Instead, I wrote of my thoughts of this country and of the world that developed in my time here. If through this blog you were able to imagine the environment that led to the bud of those thoughts, then you’ve seen more of Cuba through my perspective than if I had described it as the setting of a fiction novel; or a better example yet (since I might get a something for writing this blog), than if I had described it as Columbus richly depicted the “New World” to his foreign benefactors. 

If this blog only made you more confused about Cuba, well that’s great too, because if you were like me (someone who didn’t think to ask let alone know what questions to ask) at least now you have a few questions to start with. Call me for lunch or coffee and I’d be happy to work out the confusion together. 

Perhaps I will continue to add to this blog for the first few weeks upon my return to include any post reflection that I may have, but for now this is it. Thanks for reading. 

1 comment:

  1. Please do continue after you've returned to the US. That part is so important! I was so torn and confused and excited when I returned from my semester in Argentina, and you've really got me with these posts. I want to hear what you have to say next.

    ReplyDelete